Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Review: The Mistaken by Nancy S. Thompson

OOOO-Yes, Yes, Yes! 

Okay, so, I’m going to start with the writing because I need to get that out of the way first. Personally, I believe there is such a thing as too much description in a book. I found the writing a bit too wordy with an overuse of similes and metaphors. For me, the overwriting interrupted the flow of the story, leaving me distracted and tripping over the words, if that makes any sense. Maybe that’s why this book began a bit slow for me, although it became more interesting around 36% when I was able to see where it was all going. 

Additionally, there were too many long soliloquy-like thought processes going on inside the heads of the various characters. I was on information overload. It was also a bit repetitive. While I whole-heartedly enjoy alternate points of view from different characters, hearing the same story repeated from another’s point of view is unnecessary. We already knew the story about Tyler’s parents’ accident so I felt it unnecessary to read about it again when he explains what happened to Hannah. Okay, enough about the writing. Now on to the story!

It’s incredible what profound grief can drive a person to do, things that one would never before have considered. Tyler, our hero was a heartbreaking character. How much loss can one man possibly endure? Sniffle. I wanted to reach into the book pages, give him a great big hug and tell him everything will be okay. (Not to mention jump him and straddle him if he’s as HOT and romantic as he sounds!)
“The lyrics,'Tell me would you kill to save a life...would you kill to prove you're right?' They've often made me wonder, what would make a good man do something...you know, really awful, like kill or whatever. And well, now...I guess I have my answer don't I?”
 Tyler’s perfect life crumbles around him leading him on an alcohol-infused quest for revenge and eventually making a deal with the devil. The same devil he was trying to save his younger brother, Nick from.
“I was all too aware that life wasn't free, that it costs us each something, but I had already paid more than my fair share, giving up that gave me incentive to live in the first place. Life had cost me everything. I had nothing left to lose.”
The plot was quite unique and innovative. I’ve been so caught up in my romance novels lately, I forgot there are other genres out there that I used to enjoy. You know what I’m talking about, the one’s with all the twists and turns, keeping us guessing until the very end. Definitely different from what I’ve been reading and good different, not bad different.

The last quarter of the book was certainly not for the faint of heart. It made me feel tense and uncomfortable, like when watching a scary or gory movie and I keep my eyes half closed, peeking through my fingers every now and then at the screen to see what’s going on. Because I really don’t want to know. But I HAVE to know! Yeah, ewwww! I’m not a person who likes guts and gore. Blech!

However, I absolutely loved the last 30% of the story because this was when it really got moving. Non. Stop. Action. And the ending, well let’s just say I was pleasantly surprised. I didn’t expect it. And I’ll leave it at that.

Yes, I would have liked more romance, but that’s just my personal preference, romance junkie/smut lover that I am. Overall, I recommend this book for lovers of romantic thrillers that just can’t get enough mystery, intrigue and action in their daily life. Now go forth and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment