Monday, January 7, 2013

Review: All Over You by Emily Snow

5 of 5 stars
Back in early November I read and reviewed Devoured by Emily Snow. I so desperately wanted to LOVE this book because alpha male rock stars are most certainly my obsession.  I looked forward to sinking into this story and devouring it completely. However, at the end of the day, it was just okay. I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it. It was just okay and I rated it two out of five stars on Goodreads. Here’s the review I wrote at the time:
When it comes to alpha male rock stars, I’m in, all the way in, in like flint.  Did I mention I’m in? Therefore, it goes without saying (but I’m saying it anyway) that the synopsis of Devoured sucked me right in. I didn’t give a second thought to downloading it and moving it to the top of my TBR list. But then…

I really wanted to love this book, I really, really did. I liked the story line and I liked the characters. However, there was just something missing. I kept waiting for it to go somewhere but it never seemed to reach its final destination. I found the writing to be a bit choppy and some sentences just didn’t make any sense at all. Although this is a giant pet peeve of mine, I usually try not to focus too much on the grammar/writing when reading because I read to enjoy the story, not to edit or correct it. But I do prefer when the sentences flow smoothly and this just didn’t flow.  And flowing is important to me. It needs to flow; I don’t like waves in my books.

There were too many missing pieces, too many holes that still needed to be filled. I couldn’t quite connect emotionally with the characters. I tried, I really tried.  It’s not that I didn’t like them, because I did like them. But I should have loved them. I should have loved them to the moon and back. I should have wanted to devour them; I should have wanted to be devoured by them (yes, pun intended). I should have thought about them 24/7, when I was food shopping, making dinner, driving the kids around, etc. But I didn’t. I didn’t feel pulled into their lives. I didn’t feel like I really got to know them well enough. I needed more character development and more back-story, I just needed more.  I kept reading because I wanted to find out what happened, I kept hoping for more details, more description. But the story felt “jumpy” to me if that makes any sense.  Don’t get me wrong; I still feel that this story has potential, lots of potential. But it just needs something more.

I don’t like to be so critical of a book because I’m not a writer. I realize that authors put their hearts & souls into their writing and their characters.  Every story is an author’s baby and I always want to love every book I choose to read but sometimes that just doesn’t happen.  I’m hopeful that book two will give me the more I am looking for.

Well, now I just finished All Over You, the prequel to Devoured. And all I can say is BRAVO! BRAVO, Ms. Snow! It’s as if you were speaking to me, directly to me, and giving me exactly what I asked for. More! More character development, More background information. More pull into the lives of Lucas and Sienna. Boy, did I LOVE this! Yes, absolutely LOVED and ADORED this peek into their past. Now, everything makes sense to me, there are no more missing pieces. All the holes have been filled. What a fabulous beginning it was to their tale. Not only that, but the writing seems to have matured. The story flowed beautifully. I knew that the tale of Lucas and Sienna had tremendous potential and Ms. Snow proved me right. I wholeheartedly look forward to the sequel, Consumed, which according to Goodreads is expected on January 15, 2013. I can’t wait to find out what’s in store for these two characters.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! Nice to know that the two stories fit together so well. I will keep that in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Megan. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete