Thursday, December 6, 2012

Review - Come Away With Me (With Me in Seattle, #1) by Kristin Proby

Let me begin by saying that Luke is without a doubt one of the most romantic characters I've ever met. Really. Like. Ever. I mean let's just call him Luke Romance Williams. Jealous? Yes. Possessive? Yes. Controlling. Yes. But, oh so damn ROMANTIC. I don't know how many dozens of red roses (with pearls in them, yes, pearls!) Natalie received throughout this book. I lost count. And the private dinners by candlelight, a birthday vacation in Tahiti, baths by candlelight (prepared by Luke, mind you), foot massages, the list is endless. Men can really learn something from this guy! Are there any men out there reading this review that can hear me?  Doubt it. But just in case, women like this sort of thing. We do. We really do! And the gestures don't need to be nearly as grand as Mr. Wealthy Luke Romance Williams. Small romantic gestures are just as appreciated. Hint, Hint!

That being said, I liked the story. I didn't love it. I didn't think it was amazing. But it was a cute, lovely, simple, romantic story. There was a lot of sex in this story. A. Lot. Of. Sex.  But the story itself didn't speak to me on a personal level. I didn't FEEL it. I didn't connect with the characters. And I suppose that's okay, I need a story like this every once in a while. I guess I'm more of a "give me some intense angst, an air of intrigue, depth to the characters along with voracious steam" kind of person.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Luke & Natalie very much. However, I would have preferred a bit more depth to their characters and slow build-up to their story, but that's just me. It felt like something was missing. I don't know why but I like to feel the need to throw my Kindle against the wall while I'm reading. I guess I'm just flawed that way.

To sum up my thoughts as I read this book, I sensed the author channeling the styles of E.L. James and Tina Reber (not necessarily a negative feature because we all learn from others) resulting in the following: Fifty Shades of Grey plus Love Unscripted equals Come Away With Me minus intensity, character depth, & story development.

This book will appeal to readers who don't feel the need for intensity and want to enjoy a simple, happy, romantic fairytale (with a lot of sex).  And isn't that cover just beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment