Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Review - The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay



The Sea of Tranquility ranks among one of my top 10 favorite awe-inspiring reads of all time, right alongside Colleen Hoover’s Slammed and Point of Retreat. Many of my favorite book bloggers have been singing this book’s praises for a while now.  I wasn’t in a rush to read it although I knew I would eventually. Once I saw that the book was being picked up by Atria, I knew it was time. And I am so very grateful that I did.

This beautifully written tale tells the story of Nastya and Josh.  It is a romance but yet, there is much more to the plot than just the relationship between the two main characters. It’s also about finding one’s self, acceptance, trust, moving on.  An air of intrigue is present as the reader attempts to identify what transpired in Nastya’s past.  It is truly a deep, meaningful story that will leave you breathless.

The dialogue was pure poetry; producing visceral, gut-wrenching emotion.  I cried, I laughed, then cried some more.  I chewed my nails. I stopped reading to take a deep breath and rest my blurry eyes. The slow build-up of the relationship between Josh and Nastya was touching as they developed a silent understanding and acceptance of each other.  And then there was the torment, those “why did that happen” moments that made me feel frustrated, angry, sad, and weepy.  My heart ached for them both. 

I loved the characters of Nastya and Josh. I loved the irony of Josh nicknaming Nastya “Sunshine.” I loved their friend Drew, a typical teen player with a heart of gold. I loved the whole concept of this story. It was mind-blowingly breathtaking!  When finished with the book, I just sat for a few moments, closing my eyes, and taking it all in. Those last two words were just…well, read it for yourself and you’ll see what I mean.

Katja Millay is a gifted and remarkable story-teller. I look forward to reading more from her in the future. Every once in a while I need to read a book that makes me just stop and think and feel. The Sea of Tranquility did just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment