Sunday, November 4, 2012

Review - Devoured by Emily Snow

-->
When it comes to alpha male rock stars, I’m in, all the way in, in like flint.  Did I mention I’m in? Therefore, it goes without saying (but I’m saying it anyway) that the synopsis of Devoured sucked me right in. I didn’t give a second thought to downloading it and moving it to the top of my TBR list. But then…

I really wanted to love this book, I really, really did. I liked the story line and I liked the characters. However, there was just something missing. I kept waiting for it to go somewhere but it never seemed to reach its final destination. I found the writing to be a bit choppy and some sentences just didn’t make any sense at all. Although this is a giant pet peeve of mine, I usually try not to focus too much on the grammar/writing when reading because I read to enjoy the story, not to edit or correct it. But I do prefer when the sentences flow smoothly and this just didn’t flow.  And flowing is important to me. It needs to flow; I don’t like waves in my books.

There were too many missing pieces, too many holes that still needed to be filled. I couldn’t quite connect emotionally with the characters. I tried, I really tried.  It’s not that I didn’t like them, because I did like them. But I should have loved them. I should have loved them to the moon and back. I should have wanted to devour them; I should have wanted to be devoured by them (yes, pun intended). I should have thought about them 24/7, when I was food shopping, making dinner, driving the kids around, etc. But I didn’t. I didn’t feel pulled into their lives. I didn’t feel like I really got to know them well enough. I needed more character development and more back-story, I just needed more.  I kept reading because I wanted to find out what happened, I kept hoping for more details, more description. But the story felt “jumpy” to me if that makes any sense.  Don’t get me wrong; I still feel that this story has potential, lots of potential. But it just needs something more.

I don’t like to be so critical of a book because I’m not a writer. I realize that authors put their hearts & souls into their writing and their characters.  Every story is an author’s baby and I always want to love every book I choose to read but sometimes that just doesn’t happen.  I’m hopeful that book two will give me the more I am looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment