Saturday, October 27, 2012

Review - On Dublin Street by Samantha Young



Just when I think I can’t possibly find a book to at least equal or possibly surpass one that I previously read, along comes another that does just that.  For lack of a better word to truly express how I felt after reading this amazing story, I’m going to use a “saying” I’ve never used before but have seen frequently in book reviews…SQUEEEEEEEE!!!

I honestly can’t believe that the author is only 26 years old because in addition to her mature writing style, the emotions she managed to invoke are ones that you would think only a person who has had the benefit of more life experiences would be able to elicit.  Then again, some people have experienced more life (good &/or bad) at a younger age than others or just have a special gift for storytelling.  Samantha Young seems to possess that gift.
 
On Dublin Street is a heartfelt tale of grief & despair, numbness & fear, healing & love.  Jocelyn was depicted as a self-sufficient, independent but highly guarded woman who remained emotionally detached to the world around her in order to avoid re-experiencing the grief she suffered in her past.  She was in emotional lock-down & refused to let anyone in
.  
“Was I shy? No. Not shy. Just, usually blissfully indifferent. I liked it that way. It was safer.”

“I'm not that hard to get to know, really." He flashed me a quick smile. "But you... I think you've made an art form out of deflection and self-possession.”

“Have you ever cheated on someone?"
Whoa. Where did that come from?
"Well?"
Was this an interview to date her brother?
Staring her straight in the eye so she would know I was being deadly serious, I replied more honestly than ever, trusting Ellie not to push me too much on the subject, "I never get close enough to anyone for that to be an issue.”

Enter Braden. Whoa, Braden!

“Why the hell did he have to be the human version of a sexually charged nuclear weapon?”

Yep, that’s the perfect description of Braden. The hot, sexy, controlling businessman who was used to getting what he wanted. He was determined to knock down those walls Jocelyn so securely built around herself but also had his own past with which to deal.  Braden very much reminded me of Christian Grey minus the BDSM aspect.

“After last night, there’s no denying the promise of what’s between us. I’m not backing off, so rather than coming up with a new defense – which I’m sure I’d find highly entertaining – just give in, babe. You know you’re going too eventually.”

Oh, Braden, how can anyone resist you?! So, we travel along with Jocelyn as she tries to fight off Braden and deny her attraction to him, unsuccessfully, I might add.

“Braden’s hand tightened around mine, his pale eyes darkened, and I knew…he wanted me too. “Fine,” he muttered, a dangerous quality entering his expression as he leaned down, his words puffing against my mouth he was so close. “I can do this. If you can pretend, I can pretend.”

“I hated that he was right. Our attraction was nuclear. I had never known anything like it. It made Braden Carmichael extremely dangerous to me. And I had to dissemble. I shot him a careless smile. “I’m not pretending.”

I eyed him suspiciously. "Braden..."
"Just friends." His gaze dropped to my mouth and darkened. "I told you. I can pretend if you can pretend."
"I'm not pretending." Was that my voice that sounded all hot and breathy?
Braden just smirked at me like he didn't believe me. "You know you're really putting pressure on my acting skills."
"Acting skills?"
"Pretending Jocelyn." He took another step forward, his eyes narrowed with intent. "I've never been very good at it." 
Oh my God, he was going to kiss me. I was standing in his office in crappy jeans with crappy hair and he was going to kiss me.

And then she finally agrees to an arrangement of sorts which she believes will be mutually beneficial.
 
“Good thing I’m not proposing a relationship.” It was safe to say I was completely confused. “Well, what are you proposing?” “Just sex.”  What? “What?” “You and me. Just sex. Whenever we want. No strings attached.”

Little does she realize that Braden has other ideas about their so called arrangement and this was only the beginning of their journey together.   Because I don’t want to add any further spoilers & pretty much the whole book was highlighted with my favorite quotes, I’ll stop gushing right here & let you decide on your own whether or not you want to read this steamy, hot, sexy, fabulous, amazing (did I mention how much I LOVED this?) 5+-star book!  There are some stories that teach us valuable life lessons no matter what our age even if they are of the fiction genre. This was most certainly one of those books.

No comments:

Post a Comment