Saturday, September 8, 2012

Review - Passion Fish by Alison Oburia & Jessica McQuinn



Let me begin by saying that I loved the characters of Will and Eve and I also enjoyed their story.  That being said, I think this book could have been much better than it was.  First off, there was just too much going on with the many other characters for me to thoroughly enjoy this book.  I prefer when a story focuses on the main characters and their story.  Supporting characters are of course necessary but focusing on so many different stories within the same book becomes confusing and somewhat annoying for me.  As I was reading, I kept thinking that I just wanted to get back to Will and Eve’s story.  I wasn’t interested in Josie & Beau, Skyler & Gage, or Noelle & Thomas.  I just wanted more Will and Eve. 

Additionally, the writing style bothered me a great deal.  It was much too passive instead of active.  Even if you’re not one to usually notice, there is quite a difference between active and passive writing.  Active writing is direct and to the point.  It grabs your attention and is written in the active tense (think action).  Passive tense writing tends to be slow and sluggish.  It lacks energy.  This type of writing slows down my reading as well as my enjoyment of a story.  There was no spark or excitement.   And although Will was sweet and adorable, I found his dialogue annoying because it sounded somewhat stuffy and formal for a 28-year-old guy.

Well, there you have it.  I didn’t love it, I didn’t hate it.  It was just okay for me.  What would have made it better besides changing the writing style would have been focusing solely on Will and Eve’s story and adding to the intensity of their developing relationship.  The ideas were there, I just don’t think those ideas were adequately expressed.

By the way, does anyone else think that the author was an “All My Children” fan?

No comments:

Post a Comment