Sunday, August 26, 2012

Review - Stitches and Scars by Elizabeth A. Vincent

Stitches and Scars read as a predictable, light-hearted, fluffy, romantic comedy. It was a perfect fairy-tale involving three perfect young women, all best friends, living seemingly perfect fairy-tale lives, pursuing & enjoying their dream jobs, while hooking up with perfect fairy-tale boyfriends. And this is in no way a bad thing. After all, isn't this why we read, to escape reality & find ourselves engrossed in a fairy-tale? Let me begin by saying I loved the plot & characters (especially Dr. Hottie!). There were similarities to many of my other favorite books, which made reading this even more enjoyable (they say imitation is a form of flattery and I agree). And, I admit, I'm a sappy romance lover and a sucker for HEAs. That being said, there were a few things missing for me that would have made this a five-star review instead of a four. For starters, there were too many changes in point of view within each chapter as well as throughout the entire story. Either one POV throughout the book or alternating POVs for each chapter would have made this better for me. I would side more with the latter, since I loved having insight into both Kate's and Ethan's thoughts. Secondly, this world was just a bit too perfect, too fairy-tale-ish, a little (just a little) more angst would have raised the bar for me (I love a good angsty story). Thirdly, smut. I'm a smut lover, I just can't help it. Blame it on 50 Shades. What can I say other than it's addictive, so a little more of Ethan and Kate, ahem, if you know what I mean would have made it even better for me. But I can say whole heartedly that I will never be able to grocery shop again without thinking of this book. In fact, the produce department is now my most favorite part of grocery shopping (I might have to take my husband there on a date sometime)! Lastly, although the main focus of the book was Kate & Ethan's relationship, many side stories took place, which were a distraction for me from the main plot. Well, there you have it, the reason for my four-star review instead of a five. However, overall, the story was fabulous, the characters were loveable, and Ethan's hotness factor was definitely a five out of five. This book is the perfect read for in between those truly angsty stories that make you want to very loudly scream and yell while throwing your Kindle, book, or whatever device you own against the nearest wall. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment