Monday, July 30, 2012

Review - Avoiding Responsibility by K.A. Linde

So now that I’ve finished Avoiding Responsibility, I need to think about this for a while. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the 1st book, Avoiding Commitment. It evoked so many different emotions. I anticipated the same with this book, but it didn’t have me as much on edge as did the prior book. I kept waiting but I was almost halfway through reading before the fist-clenching angst set in and it only lasted a little while. It didn’t come about again until about 85% finished, and once more for only a brief amount of time. This book focused on Lexi’s growth & the kind of person she would ultimately become. While it was an interesting & worthwhile journey, I just felt like something was missing, or perhaps it was just all too much. It's a bit hard for me to explain. A bit of mystery was included in the back-story, which contributed greatly because it made me want to keep reading. The alternating past & present chapters (as also seen in Avoiding Commitment) were a brilliant manner in which to reveal the back-story. The last chapter was a bit far-fetched for me. Not wanting to give too much away, I am very pleased there was what appeared to be a HEA ending. I don’t think I could have survived a cliffhanger or worse yet, a heart wrenching end to this story. However, the drama that unfolds during the last chapter was a bit too soap opera-like for me. But then it did have me laughing at how ridiculous it all was, which was a nice change of pace from the emotional wreck I was previously (mostly during the first book). I must say that I am more than relieved to finally be finished reading this 2-book series because I found it impossible to put down & have been avoiding all of my responsibilities while being so emotionally involved. My guess is that my family is just as relieved as well. Now it’s time for me to read something light & funny. I think I owe it to myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment